Saturday, October 18, 2008

Arrival in York, England



Finally, after changing my ticket so many times, I have finally arrived in York. The campus is really beautiful with lots of ponds and ducks walking around. York centre is about 3 miles away, and is surrounded by old medieval walls. Inside the walls, there are lots of pubs, restaurants that have a Shakespearean atmosphere. York is still a small town, and all the stores close quite early, around 7 pm. All the houses look the same, so I tend to get lost a few times. At least I have a blue door, so it's a bit easy to spot... if I can manage to find the right street.


The weather is pretty cold for now, and I am told it's going to get colder; especially in December, when it snows. I share a nice house with 6 other people. It's about a mile and half away from campus; so on average, I walk about 3 miles a day, not including trips to the grocery store, etc. The buses are expensive, so I don't bother, and taxis are not even a choice. Oh, before I forget, I live in a a mixed house with Bridget and Tom from Ireland, Amy, Elleoise and Andy the Brits, Nanpoon the girl from Thailand and finally myself, "the Yank" as my flatmates call me. Everyone in the house except Elleoise and myself are studying for their PH.D in Chemistry. Elleoise studies History, and I am the only one with the wierd subject. So far, lectures are long and I have a bit of trouble understanding Dr. Alp, even though he speaks English! In December we are going to Jordan to work with Iraqi refugees. Lord, wish me luck! I hope they like Americans! The good thing is that my Master's programe has many people from different countries: Brits, Irish, Scottish, Italians, French, Afgans, Turkish and Middle Eastern... then me, the only American. Boy, do they like to talk to me about politics and Bush! These people know more about American politics than most Americans back home, including myself!




I've managed to make a few friends, and I have befriended the Spaniards thanks to my flatmates. So, instead of speaking English in England, I am speaking Spanish all day!

More to come in time. I hope everyone is well!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice elvie!