Thursday, December 11, 2008

Hello from London



A lovely day in London. I stayed with Dan and his family. A lovely family. I managed to see some old friends from I studied in France, and some friends from Okinawa. It was the best weekend I believe I have had. I won't bore you with details, but it was wicked!

I managed to turn in my conflict analysis on El Salvador's Civil War. I was really, really nervous becuase I thought I didn't do it right. I couldn't figure out the methodology and framework needed to correctly write an academic paper. I couldn't stop writing a narrative, so I had to rewrite, and rewrite. Finally, I managed 13 pages. I turned it in at 3:59pm when i was due at 4pm. I had feedback, when I entered Alp, my supervisors' room, I saw the 65 on it. I thought, "great I got a big FAT 'F'" Then suddenly he started with... "it was a good paper." WHAT????? Really? WOW. He explained that passing is 50% and 70% is distinction. I missed distinction by a toe nail!!! I couldn't believe it! Cool, huh? If anyone wants to read it, just leave me a comment!

Tonight, we leave for Jordan. We have to meet at 2 am and take a bus down to Heathrow, to catch the flight in the morning! This is really nerve racking, but nonetheless, I love it! I am really excited, because I get to do research in reporductive health among the Iraqi refugees. This subject, if it goes well will lead me to my subject for my dissertation in March. I want to research in reproductive and mater
maternal health in women and girls. I want to research what happens when certain services are not available in terms of abortion, support programmes for victims of rape and domestic violence and prevention programmes for STD's and HIV/AIDS. In certain countries, like Jordan, there is no abortion for victims of rape, one cannot even get treatment in maternal wards, if one DOES NOT produce a marriage certificate. Many women end up delivering at home without any outside help besides a midwife. Midwives are good, but understand in refugee situations, many complications arise, sometimes leaving mother or child dead and in some cases both. If abortion is not allowed for women of rape victims, they turn to "hangers" to do the job for them. This is what I want to research either in Africa, the Middle East or Asia. What do you think?
Posted by Picasa

No comments: